We want to take a moment this week to share some information regarding carbon monoxide poisoning. During the winter months, there is a higher risk for CO poisoning due to the increase in the need for burning fuel for heat. Whether you are using your heat or starting a fire in your fireplace, if you have fire, you have carbon monoxide!
Carbon Monoxide itself is a gas that is both colorless and odorless. It is not easily detected, making it nearly impossible to know if you have been exposed to it.
Here are a few tips to help keep your family safe in your home:
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
- Make sure to not use portable generators within your home or garage.
- Keep flammable materials away from the stove and oven.
- A charcoal grill should never be brought into your home or garage for either heating or cooking purposes.
- A gas range or oven should never be used for heating.
- Make appointments to have your home heating systems inspected regularly by a trained service technician.
- CO alarms that are either battery operated or have a battery backup should be installed throughout your home.
- If you suspect CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.
Our next blog post will further discuss the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning.
At Tuscany Homes, it is important to us that you are safe and happy in your new home. Click here to further discuss the aspects of your home safety with a qualified home builder in Vancouver WA.