Terms to Know if You’re Building a Custom Home – Part 3

When speaking to your home builder, do you sometimes feel like you’re not in Vancouver WA but in a foreign country, perhaps a different planet?

Those home builders practically have their own language. Tuscany Homes can’t teach you the entire language, but we can define a few key terms.

Receptacle – In the world of home building, a receptacle is an electrical outlet.

Reglaze – This means to replace a broken window.

Scratch Coat – The first coat of plaster. It’s called the scratch coat because it’s scratched to bond with the second coat.

Settlement – When your home shifts. This shifting is usually caused by underground freeze-thaw cycles.

Sill cock – An outdoor water faucet.

Slab Door – A door without any hinges or a door without a frame.

Tinner – Another name for a heating contractor.

Toenailing – When a builder drives a nail at an angle. Toenailing is frequently used to secure floor joists.

Vermiculite – A mineral used in a variety of insulations.

Wall Out – When the inside of your home is spray painted.

Hopefully, this three-part series will help you to better understand your home builder as well as take some of the stress out of building a custom home in Vancouver WA.

To read part one of this series, click here.

To read part two of this series, click here.

To contact Tuscany Homes, and learn how they can take the mystery out of building a custom home, click here.